VP Antico Artisan Enhancements™ VP Antico is a thick water-based plaster medium used to create smooth and textured Venetian plaster effects. Formulated with advanced next generation bio-based chemistry - VP Antico is nontoxic, zero VOC, and eco-friendly!
Use: An ideal medium for embossing, relief, and troweled techniques. Layer VP Antico with Crackle Tex to achieve weathered plaster finishes. VP Antico has a tintable white base, perfect for developing custom light and pastel-colored finishes. Great for a variety of interior and exterior projects such as: furniture, cabinetry, decorative arts, and walls.
Coverage: Varies based on application.
Prep: Before getting started, review tip sheets or visit your local retailer for additional instructions. Surfaces should be free of cleaner residue, dust, dirt, and debris. If painting a basecoat, paint should be completely dry 24 hours before applying plaster. Porous or untreated surfaces may need to be sealed prior to plaster application.
Recommended Application: Stir before use - Do not shake. Brush/trowel/roll-on VP Antico to a dry prepared or base painted surface to achieve a variety of finishes. For easy stencil relief and heavy plaster techniques - Use a Color Shaper or trowel to apply plaster to a prepared surface. For an overall textured effect - Use a roller to apply plaster to a prepared surface. Create plaster crackle effects by layering VP Antico with Crackle Tex. Tinting - VP Antico can be tinted with a variety of pigment sources including universal tint systems, water-based paints, and mineral pigments (start with mix of 3-part VP Antico to 1-part tint). If plaster is loose, allow air exposure for a more structured application. Once dry, VP Antico can be burnished or polished. If needed, lightly sand with 400 grit paper to remove sharp edges or to achieve a smooth finish. Do not apply product when air and surface temperatures are below 50°F (10°C).
Dry Time: Allow plaster layer to dry overnight before applying additional layers or sealing. If adding more layers of paint, plaster, glaze, or a color wash - Once first layer of plaster is dry, a thin layer of a topcoat may be needed before applying additional layers. Dry times between layers/sealer may be extended due to number of coats/layers, humidity, and cooler temperatures.
Seal: Once dry, seal with a topcoat. Allow 1 week to cure before exposure to elements. Application and cure times may vary. Refer to instructions of brands of topcoat for application and cure times.
Surface Care: Once sealed and cured, maintain surfaces with a dry or damp soft microfiber cloth. Avoid excessive exposure to moisture. Avoid repeated scrubbing. Avoid cleaning with harsh, caustic, or abrasive cleaners.
Clean up & Storage: Easy clean up with mild soap and water. Storage - seal the container tightly. Do not freeze or expose to direct sunlight/extreme heat. RECYCLE CONTAINERS in accordance with local laws.
Tips & Hints:
- Trowel Application: Load a small amount of plaster on to the edge of the trowel. Apply plaster while at an angle of 45°, working from wet to dry areas, to cover the entire surface. As the plaster begins to setup, keeping the blade of the trowel at a 45° angle, smooth the surface. Allow the first coat to completely dry. Repeat the process if desired.
- Roller Application: Use a 3/8" nap roller to create layers of texture on surfaces. Lightly mist roller with water before loading for easier application. Apply plaster to surface using controlled sweeping motions. As plaster begins to set-up, knock down and smooth with a trowel.
- Relief Stencil: Load a small amount of plaster to a roller, stencil brush, or edge of a Color Shaper. Using desired tool, push the plaster through the stencil with light pressure. Lift the stencil to reveal a relief pattern.
- Combine VP Antico with Fine Stone to create rough and fissured plaster techniques.
- Smooth, burnish, and polish plaster with 400-800 grit sandpaper.
- For heavy thick textures, allow each layer to fully dry overnight before proceeding to the next layer.
Morning Dewdrops Disclaimer - We offer DIY Paint and Finishes and Artisan Enhancements products. We provide tips or answers to questions about these products when working in conjunction with each other.
We do not provide these tops or answer these questions pertaining to any other brands of paint topcoats, sealers, waxes or other finishing products.
To learn more, subscribe to our YouTube channel and for free tutorials and subscribed to our email magazine, The Art of Doing. We share our painting secrets with you and so much more!
Stay Creative, Terri